Name of volunteer program: Ambulatory Infusion Unit (AIU)
Time required/duration of appointment: Minimum of four hours each week
Location Building/Unit/Program: University Hospital, Ellis Fischel, 2nd Floor
General purpose: Assist nursing and other staff with non-medical tasks to improve the quality of the patient care and family/visitor experience in the Ambulatory Infusion Unit (AIU).
- Provide comfort items to patients such as an extra blanket, pillow, coffee or reading materials.
- Assist staff with cleanup of treatment areas between patients.
- Assist taking or escorting patients to other areas (e.g., radiology).
- Distribute lunches to patients under direction of clinical staff.
- Keep waiting room tidy and organized; retrieve wheelchairs as needed.
- Restock supply areas per staff request.
- Other duties as requested under direction of ED shift supervisor.
- Must be 18 years old
- Vetted and accepted as MU Health Care Volunteer
- Must be able to lift up to 10 pounds
- Must be detail oriented and dependable
- Must maintain excellent customer service such as making eye contact and active listening
- Strong ability to communicate clearly and in a positive manner
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality at all times
- Must be able to stand, walk, bend and sit for up to four hours each shift
- Must be able to work independently and show strong initiative for meeting patient needs
- Ability to be completely available for patients, visitors and staff (i.e., no cell phone use)
Volunteers are provided with a volunteer shirt, gift shop discounts, recognition at the annual recognition breakfast, free annual TB screening and flu shots.
Name and Title of Volunteer Supervisor: Christy Yancey
Contact information after vetting and placement: (573) 771-7861 or email@example.com
Questions? Contact MU Healthcare Volunteer Services at 573-882-4714 or email firstname.lastname@example.org